Friday, November 5, 2010

Artwork by Eddie Colla


Eddie Colla’s stencil-based artwork is urban, sexy, and rebellious. The Oakland-based artist creates pieces that are full of energy, and inspire us to get off our butts in order to “achieve greatness.” Colla isn’t the biggest fan of rules though, and believes that sometimes they are meant to be broken…
“There is a visual conversation that takes place on the streets of urban environments,” says Colla. “This conversation is dominated primarily by advertising and utilitarian signage and assumes passive participation. Whether invited or not I am going to participate in this conversation. Public spaces were never intended to be coated from top to bottom with photos of consumer products. These spaces should, in some manner, reflect the culture that thrives in that space.”“Some people view what I do as vandalism. I assume that their objection is that I alter the landscape without permission. Advertising perpetually alters our environment without the permission of it’s inhabitants. The only difference is that advertisers pay for the privilege to do so and I don’t. So if you’re going to call me anything, it is more accurate to call me a thief.”

No comments:

Post a Comment